This is a fairly complete guide to connecting the RM pro to Alexa and Google Home.
To understand this complicated mess you’ll need some History:
Broadlink took so long to create an official skill that a 3rd party developer created their own trick to make it work by using an Android device to advertise the devices to Alexa. The software that makes this work is called the RM plugin and it still works today if you have an older version of the RM pro (RM2+ and backwards). In my opinion this is still the most versatile way to control the RM pro as it opens up other opportunities for automation.
- If you convince Alexa you live in the states then Amazon music and the Kindle book store won’t work. They are the only two drawbacks and can easily be reversed by simply undoing the trick.
- The official skill will allow you to control TV’s and that’s about it. In order to control RF devices like plug sockets and light switches you can trick the Broadlink skill by using this video: https://youtu.be/Lg4HQhN5KXo
- It requires an always on Android device
- Doesn’t require an Android device
- Less of a hack, Amazon music and Kindle still work
- Allows you to do more with the android device as a remote for people who don’t want to use Alexa: https://youtu.be/GxpG8G21was
- Allows for more automation such as tasker and IFTTT control
Once you’ve chosen and implemented a method, and started having some fun with it you will want to look at creating custom commands so you can say more than just “on” and “off”, i.e. “Alexa, it’s time to go to sleep” might trigger all the lights off at once. This video will show you how to do that: https://youtu.be/yaxIaPPRXt
- When trying to enable the Philips Hue skill in the Alexa app you may be asked to press the button on the bridge before it will enable! If you don’t have a bridge you can’t, but never fear just login with my details below instead and the skill will skip the button press 😉
Where can I buy an older model?
You can’t 🙁 You can never be certain that the seller won’t assume you want the latest model. The safest thing you can do is wait for all this to blow over. If you want to try anyway then I suggest you ask the seller directly and explain your motivations. Ask if he has any old stock he’s looking to get rid of.
My video has caused some confusion and people are looking for a red base RM pro. My red base is simply because my RM pro is ancient and came from a very brief time frame before they changed the design to black and repurposed the red base for the RM home which can’t do RF! You will not find a red based RM pro! If you find a red based design it will more likely be the old RM Home, and YOU DO NOT WANT THAT!!! Do not buy a red base RM pro, you will be disappointed.
Watch me rant like a maniac
Buy me a beer!
Become a monthly contributor on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/paulhibbert